Saturday, February 09, 2008

Fame

At work today, we had a Famous Person in as a client. This doesn't happen to me very often - in fact, I think it's the first time - and, as I am completely unobservant and never notice celebrities and suchlike if I walk past them, unless someone tells me, it is unusual for me to see anyone famous at all. This person was a pop star in the 60s and 70s, and I was very familiar with his name but had no idea what he looked like. The nurse I work with, who's 32, had never heard of him; the client after him, who was in her late 50s, I'd think, recognised him at once and was all of a flutter at seeing him, after he'd gone. I wasn't sure whether to comment to him or not - presumably someone who books themselves into the vet's using their stage name wants to be recognised - but as I really couldn't have named a song he released, or recognised him, I thought it better to play it straight. He was very pleasant, and looked significantly younger than his age (mid-60s), with a very pretty little blonde daughter with him; when I didn't comment on who he was, he name-dropped that his dog was sired by an extremely famous dog in the breed - so I was duely impressed by that, instead, since I even knew what the famous dog looked like, unlike the star.
Interestingly, his lower teeth were uneven as battlements. No latter day celebrity would make it big with teeth like that, which is a shame, I think.

No comments: