Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Ham, ham

This ham deserves a longevity award. I can't remember how much it was to start with, but I think about £40 for 3 kg or so. Not much more, anyway. So far, it's done

12 people as the centre of a buffet, glazed with ginger
4 the next day for lunch, cold
then been frozen for a month, then

4 as cold ham with potatoes etc
4 for ham hash cakes
2 portions of left over hash cakes in freezer
4 for ham with rice, as described yesterday
1 ham and rice lunch, from scraps
2 for ham and bean soup
3 for chicken and ham pie, tonight (J won't eat it)
2 servings of ham and pasta (J tonight and her lunch tomorrow)
1 portion of mushroom soup, from the stock (maybe 2)
2 portions of potted ham for my lunches

-making over 40 meals - not so expensive as it first seemed, then. This morning I reheated the last bit and simmered it in the stock again for half an hour, before using the stock to make sauce for the pie (chicken and ham from the main stock session, on Monday, is in the fridge). Then I cooked some dried and fresh mushrooms in the rest of the stock for soup, which I will blend and perhaps add a dash of cream to. The last bit of ham I shredded coarsely, kept some back for J's pasta, then pulsed the processor a bit more to shred the rest finely, with a knob of butter and a generous pinch of mace, to make the potted ham. All very frugal, enjoyable, and so forth.
The bathroom cupboard is nearly finished, with the massive overstocks categorised and a rubbish bag full of cast offs. I think I shall have to say a sad goodbye to the Wright's vaporiser, as the fluid is off the market. That lovely creosoty smell was one of my childhood memories; so cosy and comforting, to be in bed with the vaporiser burning when I was ill with a cold. I used to ask for it even when I was feeling better. But the modern fluid, which J and E had, was nowhere near as good, and now even that's gone, so really there's no point in keeping it : (

No comments: