Saturday, January 10, 2009

The good, the bad, and the annoying

Three fun-filled days since I last posted, in which (in no particular order)
- it has been so cold that I have developed chilblains for the first time in years and years, in spite of not being outside with wet feet particularly, and having perfectly good central heating. I got them terribly when I was lambing as a student, but I thought they were behind me for ever: no.
- J discovered that we were burgled about 5 days ago (probably) - they went into the home office (which had been left unlocked by an oversight) and took various things there - a flat screen monitor, an amplifier, our second hand Mac mini off ebay, etc. No critical data, as far as we can see, and luckily our passports were in the house. The police came this evening and looked for fingerprints, but they had worn gloves. Very, very annoying, but I suppose it could have been worse; nothing irreplaceable or that we can't afford (with inconvenience) to lose if the insurance won't pay - and why should they, since it was unlocked?
- E took her entrance exam for secondary school - as always in these situations, she emerged able to remember everything she couldn't do, but hopefully there was enough that she could do as well... We shall see. One of her friends missed the exam altogether with flu, which is just awful.
- we seem to be getting ready for a puppy tomorrow - oh dear...
- the missing reg certificate on the new car has finally come, thank goodness, so we can get on with the bureaucracy there.
- the dogs stole the rubbish (bad) which meant that John washed the kitchen floor while I was at work this morning (good!)
- I read "The Bone Garden" by Tess Gerritsen, and a really bad book for book club called "Ang*ls in my Hair" - I've put an asterisk in so as not to hurt the author's feelings if she is googling herself, but really I think this is about the worst book I have ever read, in terms of weak structure and general implausible and annoying content. Book club should be fun, as I don't want to hurt the feelings of the member who chose it, either.
- not much progress towards moving; in fact, none, really
- I fried sea bass goujons in gram flour for supper tonight; very successful. We had them with boiled new potatoes and mange tout.
Puppy photo tomorrow, perhaps.

No comments: