Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I am beginning to have seen enough of this ham. Yesterday it appeared as ham and chicken with rice and mange tout; tonight it appeared as ham and black eyed bean broth with leeks; tomorrow it's appearing as ham and chicken pie. Being frugal is all very well, but one can have too much of a good thing. It doesn't help that the one ham-free night, Sunday, we had pork belly instead. It's as if we have an obsession with pork products. Earlier on, I was all keen to work out the costings of these frugal meals, but now I'm just tired.
Still, I've done quite a lot of Useful Things. On Sunday, we worked out a budget for the year, and realised just how little we have spare if we are going to buy a larger house; still, at least we know, now. I hope I can manage the effort involved in keeping track of spending over the next few months.
Books read: another chunk of "The Ruby Key" by Holly Lisle, and most of "The River Cottage Cookbook" (not for the first time).
Progress towards moving: some sorting out of bathroom cupboard. We have 12 bars of Imperial Leather soap, and I have at least 40 razor blades, which will last me about five years, I should think. At least now I know, and won't buy any more. Also, some sorting of the utility room (but not enough).
Right; must go and find some sealing wax.

No comments: