Tuesday, January 29, 2008

If it's not one thing, it's another

I wish I had listened, back when I was young and middle aged people told me to appreciate health while I had it. Now I am middle aged, and if my own body isn't playing me up, those about me are: and even the young bodies in this household are my responsibility: hell, even the ANIMALS' bodies are my responsibility. It's no wonder nearly all the plants are dead around here.
Anyway: to review: most of the animals are actually fine, although if S carries on chewing up sponges and plastic bags she may not be. The cat is still drinking a lot and looking dismal, but at rising 17 this is hardly surprising. E has a sore throat and a runny nose, but so far otherwise appears fine, so hopefully this is just an incipient cold and not norovirus. J's infected finger is still swollen and on once-daily salt baths, but is no longer producing yellow pus, and on the whole seems better rather than worse. She had yet another bout of looking rough this morning, but it may have been Tuesdayitis, because this evening she's been almost too cheerful. I am feeling much better again, after being under the weather at the weekend: whether some bug was trying to get me, or whether it was caused by accidently eating gluten on Friday (a bit of fish and chip batter at Quiz Night) - who knows? Meanwhile J is waiting for referral to various medical specialists to sort out his gut type problems, but seems to have a tender gassy swelling about the size of a football just under his sternum. If he were a dog, I would be very worried about gastric dilation, but as all the first page of hits on Google for this turn out to refer to dogs, I can only infer that that's not very common in people. Also, he seems perfectly cheerful and is eating normally, which most abdominal catastrophes would preclude, you'd think. So I don't know what's going on. I have encouraged him to see a doctor tomorrow if it hasn't gone, but I bet he doesn't.

No comments: