I had a lovely day today, visiting the National Trust Arts and Crafts house, Standen, with two good friends. This is also where I went for my birthday, back in March. Today, it was a really civilised outing, although I have to admit we spent (slightly) more time in the coffee shop than we did in the house and garden. If I could own, or even live in, any house at all, anywhere, I think I would choose this one; not so much because of its setting, lovely though it is, on the edge of Ashdown Forest, but because every room is a delight of craftsmanship and wood panelling and beautiful pottery and suchlike. We were talking about this, and agreed that part of its appeal lay in the lack of excess in the furnishings and accoutrements: enough to make it feel like a home, but hardly any clutter, and no junk, so that it was restful and pleasing to the eye in a way that my house, for one, will never be. Oh well: maybe one day I might manage one room that is a little like it, maybe. Above, you should see a picture of the fireplace in the dining room at Standen, which is just about my most-coveted bit of wall decoration of all time.
J's birthday celebrations part one, tomorrow: a meal at the local Chinese with friends from her old school, plus a sleepover. Her birthday cake is currently in the oven. The house currently looks like Armageddon; no change there, then. I took seventeen more teeth out of poor O yesterday, leaving him with four; he is dribbling gently, and obviously uncomfortable, but already hanging around the dishwasher with a hopeful attitude, so I expect he'll recover soon enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment