You lurch along, over various-sized hazards and pleasures. It's been a fairly full 24 hours: the washing machine is definitely sick, and I have to wait till Wednesday for someone to come and look at it, so meanwhile I have to trail bags of dirty clothes with me whenever I go to visit someone, (my mother, mostly), and beg them to let me use their machines. I can see that this will rapidly lose me friends, but hey ho.
Dad's 81st birthday was a low-key celebration, but still, he's 81 and still able-bodied and mentally able (more or less). My parents have always been rather too matter-of-fact about their mortality - "No point wishing him many happy returns, because at 81 there won't be many more, will there?" - my mother says, briskly - but when I think about it, we are so lucky that they are both still coping well at their ages. Mum had her colonoscopy today, and that was all fine, so that's a huge worry off my mind.
And I accepted job offer B, to start in the autumn, so that's good too. However, John discovered yesterday that the company which charters out his boat for him (thereby offsetting the cost of running the *** thing, at least in theory) has just gone bankrupt, and that therefore we've lost a significant amount of money.
Also, I saw a long-time friend yesterday, whom I've known since we were both 17, and he tells me that he's just had a kidney stone. A KIDNEY STONE! How did I get to be so middle-aged that my friends have things like that? Poor guy. Apparently he's kept it, and called it Sharon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment