Saturday, May 07, 2005

Am I a snob, or was that a prole?

On Thursday, I went to work; it was quite a quiet afternoon, but there was one set of clients who are still leaving me shaking my head. It was a young couple, not much over 20, I'd think, who apparently were married - at least, the girl said "my husband" a lot. He wasn't anything unusual - lanky, T-shirt, straggly little beard, etc. She was wearing low-cut jeans with truely nasty pale blue nylon pants (panties, you Americans out there!) sticking out about 2" above the top of them, a khaki crop-top with a black bra showing underneath it, and a very strange-shaped section of abdomen between the two. I don't have any problem with deliberate flashes of pretty underwear on pretty girls, but this girl's underwear wasn't even clean, let alone matching or fitting. She also had several tattoos. Now, I have nothing against tattoos either, if the wearer has chosen them with care, but these honestly looked as if she'd chosen them at random by sticking a pin into the pattern book when drunk. Maybe she had. They were dotted here and there over her arms, each design totally unrelated to the rest in size, colour, style and theme, and I really can't think why she imagined they'd enhance her appearance.
Anyway, this couple have not one but TWO adolescent male Border Collies, un-neutered, of course, both totally unsocialised and growling at everyone, with conjunctivitis. I manage to bribe both dogs into letting me look at their eyes, put fluorescent dye in to check for ulcers, and put ointment in. Girl owner has fit as dog's eye turns green with dye, then is so taken with horror-movie appearance that she asks husband to take picture (of course, he has latest type of mobile phone with camera.) When asked to pay bill, she asks husband if can have stylish new dog collar as well. Bill comes to £5 less than money they have available; collar costs £5. Man says, feebly, that that's all the money they have this week; she says she wants collar, so they get it. Dogs' current collars look fine to me. They arrange follow up appointment (no evidence that either of them has a job to fit things around; any time seems to be fine) and leave, going home to their other 2 dogs, collies still plunging round the room lunging at all and sundry. Nurse and I roll eyes at each other, and she lets loose the bombshell that, while I was in consult room with dog A and hubby, wife had asked for advice on how to get dogs used to baby. Baby? So that's why her abdomen is such a strange shape? And they have no money, and have these two total liabilities of dogs, that nobody made them have? Why? Why? Not only that, but one of the dogs is much younger than the other, and must have been acquired around the time she was trying to get pregnant (assuming she was trying, of course.) What are they thinking of? Why is it so easy for such irresponsible people to have a baby, when other wonderful potential parents can't? Why is the world so unfair?

In other news, J came back from 5 day school field trip, which we all seemed to survive fairly well.Labour won the election, with a greatly reduced majority, which is probably the best outcome in the circumstances. Apparently two rival candidates for one constituency had a fight and one ended up hospitalised - must try and google that one.

And I still haven't sent "Cuckoo Dragon" out again. My excuse is that the laser printer isn't working properly at the moment, but really, how good a line is that?

1 comment:

Krista Heiser said...

Ok. This is going to be one of those "do as I say not as I do" kind of comments.

Send that manuscript out! One rejection does not invalidate your story.

Keep trying and good luck!